Happy Thursday Lovlies! I’m so excited to bring you this DIY ombré nail tutorial designed by my cousin, just in time for Valentine’s day. 💕 My cousin describes this look as a Lana del Rey inspired edgy romantic style. Cue “Young and Beautiful“, this beautiful ombré effect is so simple to do! The look is meant to be a little messy which makes the application that much easier. The gradient pink of this DIY helps to draw attention towards the tip of the nails, without being overly dramatic. Oh, and did you notice the little gold heart detail? A little detail that others can’t notice from afar, but you’ll know, since it’s a heart just for you. 😘
Pair this nail style with something comfy but cute. Our #OOTD is a pale pink romantic sweater paired with jeggings and combat boots, to add a edgy vibe. A simple white clutch completes this look with a pair of rings.
DIY | Ombre Nail Design
What you’ll need
- White nail polish
- Two shades of pink nail polish (One brighter than the other)
- Gold nail polish
- Eye-shadow sponge
- Small piece of aluminum foil
- Nail art dotting tool
- Nail polish remover
- Start with the white nail polish to set the base for your design. Apply two thin coats and allow to completely dry before moving to Step 2.
- Apply a drop of the lighter pink polish on a piece of aluminum foil.
- Dab your sponge in the polish from Step 2 and sponge on (lightly stippling) to cover 3/4 of your nail, starting from the tip; let completely dry before moving on to Step 4.
- Using the same technique from Steps 2 & 3 apply the brightest shade of pink polish to 1/4 of the nail, starting from the tip, adding color until you build the desired intensity. Allow to completely dry. You can either stop here and skip to Step 6 or add the heart design.
- Heart Design: Using the dotting tool, add two dots of the gold nail polish side by side leaving a small space in between. Drag the two dots downward at an angle, connecting each end to form a heart.
- Use a q-tip soaked in nail polish remover to remove excess polish.
- Seal the design with a clear top coat.
- Repeat on the rest of your nails.
- Start with clean nails.
- Do one hand at a time.
- In order to avoid muddy colors, allow the polish to completely dry before moving to the next step.
- Dampen the sponge with water to avoid over saturation. This also helps for smoother application.
- In order to avoid making a mess, dot the nail polish on aluminum foil or a wax plate instead of paper. Nail polish will soak through paper and could potentially leave a mess.
- Don’t have a dotting tool? Make your own by sticking a pin in the eraser end of a pencil.
- For the heart design, work quickly to make your connecting lines before the dots dry.
Follow me on Instagram!